Self Development Plan for Self-Actualization
Ian Parkin is the verified author of this post.
My Self Development Plan utilities Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs and his Characteristics of Self-Actualization as well as a little ancient wisdom courtesy of Lao Tzu’s ‘Tao Te Ching’.
My Self Development Plan starts with:
1) Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs describes the pattern that we are subconsciously motivated by as we move through life. From the base to top of the hierarchy they are:
- Esteem Needs
- Love and Belonging Needs
- Safety Needs
- Physiological Needs
Once we realize what drives us, from the subconscious level, we can uncover the hidden blocks in our journey of realizing our true selves. My full explanation and checklist can be found on this page: Maslow Hierarchy of Needs
“The privilege of a lifetime is being who you are.” – Joseph Campbell
My Self Development Plan continues with:
2) Maslow’s Characteristics of Self-Actualization. So let’s aim for the top and go for the good life conceived by Maslow as self-actualization. From studying the likes of Einstein, Lincoln, Jefferson, Roosevelt, and others he saw as exemplary (self-actualized) people, Maslow observed the following common characteristics among them all.
- Superior Perception of Reality
- Increased Acceptance of Self, of Others and of Nature
- Increased Spontaneity
- Increase in Problem-Centering
- Increased detachment and desire for privacy
- Increased Autonomy, and Resistance to Enculturation
- Greater Freshness of Appreciation, and Richness of Emotional Reaction
- Higher Frequency of Peak Experiences
- Increased Identification with The Human Species
- Profound Interpersonal Relationships
- More Democratic Character Structure
- Greatly Increased Creativeness
- Certain of Changes in The Value System
Embracing these characteristics is a powerful form of personal development. How you embrace them is up to you, but in my practice I use Neuro Linguistic Programming (NLP) to trick the brain.
You can self-assess against these Characteristics of Self-Actualization here.
My Self Development Plan stays on track with:
3) Lao Tzu’s Tao Te Ching. The ancient Chinese philosopher Lao-Tzu is the fabled author of the Tao Te Ching and is said to be the founder of Taoism. I find the text a source of inspiration and it is in complete alignment with what Maslow called, the Being Values or Metaneeds of his Self-Actualizing characteristics. This little book of wisdom is one of the most translated works in world literature. But I find in many of the translations (of other translations) the pure form of ancient wisdom has become rather ambiguous. I recommend the Richard Wilhelm Edition translated into English by H.G. Ostwald. ISBN:0140190600. (Out of print and rather hard to come by now.)
Alternatively, for the total beginner there is nothing better than The Tao of Pooh. A sweet little book written by Benjamin Hoff. I found it to be a perfect introduction to the Eastern belief system of Taoism for Westerners. It literally employs the fictional characters of A. A. Milne’s Winnie-the-Pooh stories to explain the basic principles of the Tao.
“What’s that?” the Unbeliever asked.
“Wisdom from the Western Taoist,” I said.
“It sounds like something from Winnie-the-Pooh ,” he said.
“It is,” I said.
“That’s not about Taoism,” he said.
“Oh, yes it is,” I said.”
– Benjamin Hoff
My Self Development Plan for Self-Actualization
- First get to know the subconscious needs in Maslow’s hierarchy. As with planning any journey, you will want to know where you are now so you can plan to get to where you want to be (The Good Life).
- Then familiarize yourself with all thirteen characteristics found in Self-Actualized people. Once acquainted with them all, you will want to embrace them fully into your personality. To do that book a session with an expert NLP consultant of your choice (or book a session with me) to get the characteristics embedded deep in you psyche. Or click here to learn NLP for yourself
- To maintain your Actualized-Self ponder upon the Tao Te Ching often.
My Psychic Life Coaching and Intuitive Guidance Pages
Psychic Life Coaching And Intuitive Guidance
My psychic life coaching and intuitive guidance is the most helpful way to examine what’s going on in your life and figure out where you can take it. You may have been looking for a reading, but you’ve found a plan to lead you towards your destiny. Read more > >
The RAS + Emotion Will Set Your Goals In Motion
If you want to master the Law Of Attraction and Creative Visualization you will need to grasp an understanding of how important it is to create your future with the aid of your reticular activating system (RAS). Read more > >
How To Write Affirmations With The Most Attractive Results
The fastest way to get the law of attraction working for you is to know how to write affirmations correctly in the first place. Here are the key elements you need to construct your own truly Attractive Affirmations. Read more > >
What Are The Secrets Of Creative Visualization?
Learn how to use mental imagery and affirmations to produce positive life changes with the law of attraction. Here is a synopsis of a bestselling book by Shakti Gawain. Because I believe she is the best person in the world to ask about the secrets of creative visualization. Read more> >
How To Master The Law of Attraction And Manifestation
Questioning how you ask the universe for what you want? Here are 5 law of attraction and manifestation secrets to open your flow: Focus on what you want, remember things will happen, don't worry about the how, create the energy, and make small positive changes. Read more > >
Ways Of Developing Intuition That You Can Trust
Learning about intuition in theory only takes you so far. To understand it well you must experience it. Here are some scenarios for developing intuition that will make it true for you. Because what you want is consistent, reliable intuition on demand. Read more > >
The Way Of Personal Development
Inspired by the far-reaching psychology of Abraham H Maslow (1908 – 1970) and the timeless spirituality of Lao-Tzu’s (600 BC) ‘Tao Te Ching’ I have created The Way of Personal Development. Read more > >
What Is The Maslow Hierarchy of Needs?
Abraham Maslow was instrumental in highlighting our innate urge for self-actualization. But being so deeply entrenched in our psyche it is shadowed by our more basic needs. The Maslow Hierarchy of Needs is an integral part of my Personal Development Coaching. Read more > >
The 13 Characteristics Of Self-Actualization
Try this for yourself. Self-assess against this list 13 Characteristics of Self-Actualization. Make a note of those characteristics you honestly feel you lack. Then use those notes as a blueprint for the qualities to work on in your personal development plan. Read more > >
Self Development Plan For Self-Actualization
Transpersonal psychology of Abraham Maslow and ancient wisdom of Lao Tzu’s ‘Tao Te Ching’ makes an easy to follow Self Development Plan for the achievement of your full potential. Read more > >
Ian Parkin is the owner, webmaster, and principal psychic of this Website.
30+ Years Providing Professional Psychic Advice and Coaching
Clairvoyant Readings with Ian Parkin
today by Email | Online Chat, Skype & Phone by appointment