The Mystery Of Easter Island Entices All Spiritual Adventurers
Ian Parkin is the author of this post.
Navel Rock is the mystery of Easter Island known as the Navel of the World from which all life sprang and is said to be the secret-keeper of the universe.
Although the island is rich in unresolved mysteries, it is no mystery why the spiritual adventurer wants to go there. If lay your hands on the Navel of the World it will permeate your body with restorative energy. Lay a compass on the rock, watch it lose the directions. Some say it’s because Navel Rock contains magnetic properties. Like the other mysteries on this fascinating island, who really knows?
Rapa Nui, aka Easter Island is one of those places you would have to be going there, to get there. So, where is there? Chile is the nearest mainland and it is 2,300 miles away. At 1,200 miles away, Pitcairn Island is the closest populated place. Jacob Roggeveen, who was a Dutch explorer, landed on Rapa Nui on Easter Sunday, 1722 and is responsible for naming Easter Island.
More Easter Island Mysteries
The Mysterious Moai
- When you first sight the Moai, or Easter Island Heads, the thousands of miles you’ve traveled to this isolated island seem to melt, stress and weariness seem to evaporate. Whether you can speak is debatable. For sure, you will be enthralled. Count yourself fortunate, as the 887 monolithic, gigantic human heads are now attached to bodies! Thanks to the Easter Island Statue Project, ongoing excavation is revealing formerly hidden bodies of the statues. The figures aren’t proportionately correct, as the heads are extremely large compared to the bodies. As the archaeologists began excavating the torsos, they noticed various symbols, which may have been the Rapa Nui version of tattoos.
Land of Giants?
- Paro, the tallest Moai, stands 33-feet high and weighs 82 tons. It is beyond the human scope of experience to understand how the Rapa Nui ancients could carve such a massive statue, from a single rock, using primitive tools available from 1250CE to 1500CE.
Rano Raraku Quarry
- Start exploring anywhere on the island, but the Rano Raraku, ‘nursery’, is where it all began. You’ll see Moai representing various developmental stages; some partly sculpted and other ‘full grown’ statues. Rano Raraku quarry is situated in a volcano, now believed to be extinct. It has been determined that the volcano cone is a portal to nether regions, or underground dwelling place of the dead. Therefore, the volcano is considered a sacred site, which likely accounts for the location of the nursery.
- You’ll probably wonder about the red hats worn by many Moai. Actually, these are topknots; the trendy hairstyle of that era. Puna Pau is the quarry containing red stone that was used to carve the topknots.
- The seven Moai of Ahu Akivi can’t be fathomed with intellect. Instead, relax as though preparing to meditate. Soften your gaze and look at the statues. Many people spend a lifetime seeing things, without really looking at them. Keep looking and you may feel an instantaneous rush of awareness; a connection to the Divine. Natives of Rapa Nua who originally created the stone statues, performed rituals that charged the Moai with mana, or essence of Spirit. The site where they stand is believed to be a celestial observatory. Natives say they are facing the Orion constellation. Also, experts have indicated that the island is a key part of the sacred sites grid, which spans the globe. Possibly, its original inhabitants migrated to Easter Island due to its important location. All seven Moai face toward sunset throughout Spring Equinox and away from sunrise the entire Autumn Equinox.
If you are on your soul journey, these Easter Island mysteries may ‘change your life forever’.
Discover Yourself as One with the Cosmos Through Shamanic Journeying
This free video event, is with the world’s foremost teacher of
During this fascinating hour with this highly revered shamanic elder, you will hear don Oscar Miro-Quesada's stories of his contacts with other realms. You’ll learn about the historical evidence of otherworldly shamanic contact between Indigenous peoples and legendary visitors from the skies, and how such visitations have influenced our cultural development. You’ll also discover how experiencing such visitations can help you cultivate the courage, strength, and love you need to face and transform life’s challenges.
Choose your preferred day and time to view this free workshop here > >
Comments About The Mystery Of Easter Island
Easter Island Spirit - by James Grant-Peterkin
Easter Island Spirit is a purposely-designed small company I created aimed at independent travelers looking for something beyond mainstream package tours. Visit EasterIslandSpirit.com to learn more.
A Companion To Easter Island - by James Grant-Peterkin
The essential guidebook to this mysterious and enigmatic island, and the only book about Easter Island written by someone who lives there. This guidebook includes the island's history, culture and all of its significant archaeological sites. It also contains all of the practical information needed for your visit, including island activities and up-to-date restaurant and shopping recommendations. It will also tell you the best times to visit the sites in order to get the optimal light for photography and to avoid the crowds, as well as many other 'local' tips that no other guidebook will tell you. Find on Amazon > >
If you would like to ask questions, add answers, or post comment on this page please use my contact form. Start the conversation with the heading [About The Mystery Of Easter Island].
If you're inspired to write an article on this subject please submit a guest post here.
Keep your kindred spirits informed by sharing this article . . .
Wiki - Easter Island